The future is so unpredictable that we simply do not know what the future may bring. In case you will have to sell your company in the future, a registered trademark is an asset that significantly adds value to your business. Companies worked hard to build their brand, and want to protect it at all costs. Registering your trademark secures all your hard work and ensures that your customers will be able to distinguish you from your competitors. The article below will familiarize you with the Steps to Register a Trademark in Singapore with Trademark Cart.
Trademarks Act in Singapore
The Singaporean government passed the Singapore Trade Marks Act in 1998. Under this act, the protection of trademarks has these key features:
- Trademarks must be capable of being represented graphically.
- No time limit for filing for registration.
- The search for prior rights now covers services closely related to the goods for which registration is filed for.
Currently, Singapore is a signatory to several relevant international copyrights and intellectual property conventions, including the Paris Convention, Berne Convention, Budapest Treaty, WIPO Copyright Treaty, and WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty, and many others.
Also Read: Indian Trademark Registration
Identification of a Trademark
Symbols that are commonly used for the identification of a trademark are ® and TM. Although the symbols are used to identify the trademarks, however, they are different in the following ways:
- Symbol ® refers to a registered and protected trademark compatible with trademark laws.
- Symbol TM only identifies that the mark is being used as a trademark by the owner. However, the mark is not necessarily registered or protected under trademark laws.
Importance of Trademark Registration
A registered trademark gives the lawful right to use the trademark to the owner of the mark. A registered trademark also gives the right to utilize the mark in the jurisdiction of its registration and certain priorities and preferences in registering the trademark in other jurisdictions.
Some of the key benefits of trademark registration include:
- The owner has the exclusive right to the usage of the mark.
- A registered trademark owner has the right to prohibit others from copying the trademark.
- The owner has the benefit of the increasing market value of the mark.
- Quality assurance for your customers.
- Branding through mark recognition.
- A source of revenue by Licensing the mark for commercial use by third parties.
Must Read: Trademark Infringement
Steps to Register a Trademark in Singapore with Trademark Cart
For Trademark Registration in Singapore, follow these easy steps and get your Trademark Registration start with Trademark Cart.
Visit our website Trademark Cart and initiate your Trademark Application.
Go to the Trademark Registration Tab and choose Trademark Registration Singapore.
Fill the easy form and start your Trademark Registration Process.
Fill the necessary details in the Applicant Info and enter Next and proceed to About your Trademark.
Provide the details about your Trademark, such as brand name, what does your brand contain and a few more details. After providing the relevant details enter Next.
After filling the details about your trademark, Trademark Class has to be specified as per the Nice Classification system. Trademark Classification is necessary to prevent someone from registering the same or similar trademark within the same class. After filling the details, click on Next and proceed to Pricing and Packages.
Must Read: Classes of Trademark
The last step in the Trademark Application is filling the details of Pricing and Packages. The applicant can provide the details of “Do you want to register a trademark for multiple countries” and “Add On-Services” as per their requirements. After filling all the details, the applicant can Submit the Trademark Application.
Criteria for Trademark Registration in Singapore
- Be capable of being represented graphically.
- Not be confusingly similar to an existing trademark on the register.
- Be capable of distinguishing your goods or services from others.
- Be distinctive.
- Not be descriptive of the goods or services, or customary in the current language or established practices of the trade.
Also Read: Documents for Trademark
Process of Trademark Registration in Singapore
The Process of Trademark Registration includes the following stages:
In the Trademark Application, the following information must necessarily be included:
- The name and address of the applicant.
- A clear graphical representation of the trademark.
- A list of goods and/or services concerning which trademark registration is sought.
- A declaration of the intention to use the mark.
- The application fees.
The applicant can check the trademark application status online.
At the Examination stage, the trademark application will be examined to check if the mark is registrable or not.
- If the trademark application is accepted for registration then the application will be published in the Trade Marks Journal.
- If the trademark application is objectionable then the applicant will receive an examination report stating the grounds for refusal and will be required to provide the necessary information or to amend the application within 4 months. The application will be treated as withdrawn if the applicant does not respond within the deadline.
When the trademark application is accepted for registration, it will be published in the Trade Marks Journal for public inspection for 2 months.
- If the trademark application is not opposed by any party, the application will proceed to registration.
- If the trademark application is opposed by another party, the applicant will receive a copy of the notice of opposition from the opponent. The application process will be postponed pending the outcome of the opposition proceeding.
It has been concluded that not only a registered Trademark’s brand will be respected by competitors, but they will also gain exponential legal powers. Having your trademark registered gives you the right to sue anyone who tries to copy your name, products or brand.
If you also want to give protection to your trademarks and want to get it registered. Visit our website Trademark Cart or give us a call at +91 8750008585 and we will provide you with all the information relating to your queries. We provide a preliminary Trademark Search for your Trademark.